YOGA FOR PEACE WITHIN RADIATING WORLD OVER
A presentation by
ICCR Goodwill Yoga Ambassador Chandra Mohan Bhandari,
Jointly organized by the
INDAIN COUNCIL FOR CULTURAL RELATIONS, NEW DELHI,
and the AMBASSADOR OF INDIA TO THE UNITED NATIONS EDUCATIONAL, SCIENTIFIC
& CULTURAL ORGANIZATION (UNESCO), PARIS
UNESCO symbolizes Yoga philosophy beautifully:
- U UNION of
- N NATURE (PRAKRITI)
- E ETERNITY (PURUSH)
- S SCIENCE (TRUTH)
- C COEXISTENCE (HARMONY)
- O ONENESS (UNITY IN DIVERSITY)
Yoga also symbolizes a union of Nature with Living Creatures based on Truth and Nonviolence for Oneness – the essence of Peace. Today, everyone craves for Peace and Happiness.
What is Happiness? In common parlance, gratification of senses is Happiness. But such a Happiness is temporary and sooner than later becomes cause of pain. Absence of sufferings is real Happiness.
What is Peace? It is not just absence of War (violence) but also maintaining sound mental balance; managing individual thought processes to a politico-socio-economic coherence for sustainable peaceful co-existence.
The classical definitions of Yoga are: Yogah Chitta-vritti Nirodah (neither oppose, nor suppress but keep thought process in balance), Samatvam Yog Uchhyate (Intellectual balance is Yoga) and Yogah Karmasu Kausalam (Yoga is excellence in action). Karmayoga, Bhaktiyoga, Gyaanyoga and Dhyaanyoga are different paths for Yogic pursuits.
Where does Peace Within reside? In the Memory plane of the brain. Therefore, if we learn to encode noble, loving and caring sentiments in the memory plane and delete all feelings of hate, enmity, jealousy, anger, fear, etc., we shall always be peaceful and radiate peace all around. Inner Peace is a mental attribute that guides our speech and personality in actions.
Soul combines with memory plane to constitute our Consciousness, which is the driving force within for every individual’s personality. Consciousness can be refined through Yogic practices to become exactly like Soul – the pure embodiment of Peace.
It is noteworthy that the two ancient classical texts of Yoga science, viz. Bhagwat Gita and Patanjali Yogsutras, have not prescribed even a single physical body posture except the stable and comfortable cross-legged sitting posture for meditation. Why is it so? Perhaps it was not the need of those times. People lived in harmony with Nature.
The spirit of Yoga was beautifully summarized by the Prime Minister of India at the United Nations General Assembly on 27 September 2014:
“Yoga is an invaluable gift of our ancient tradition. Yoga embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfillment; harmony between man and Nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being. It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with yourself, the World and the Nature.”
YOGA is all about:
- YAMA = Shunning Violence, Lies, Stealing, Desires and Hoarding.
- NIYAMA = Cultivating a lifestyle based on Discipline, Contentment, Austere Living, Spiritual Knowledge and Surrender to God.
Yama and Niyama form the first two steps of Ashtaang Yoga, the other six steps being Aasan, Praanaayaam, Pratyaahaar, Dhaaranaa, Dhyaan and Samaadhi.
YOGA is not just a philosophy but a highly evolved evidence-based science to train human psyche live by the above ten commandments for perfect harmony among each other and with Nature for World Peace. It symbolizes the spirit of ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’ – The Whole World being One Family.
What does peace within imply? A person who
- Has total control over senses,
- Is guided by human values,
- Is balanced and judicious in decision making,
- Does not get agitated, nor agitates others, and
- Has no ego, sees his own Self in everyone else and everyone else in him, etc.
can be said to be at peace within and without.
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS ENSHRINED VARIOUSLY IN EVERY RELIGION ARE THE KEY TO PEACE WITHIN AND PEACE WITHOUT.
Gandhiji held Truth and Nonviolence above religion and rejected anything that conflicted with these twin benchmarks even if it had religious sanctity.
- India’s independence struggle is the best example to prove that Truth and Nonviolence are key to harmony and peace.
- Gandhiji had insisted that India part with the British as friends and not foes.
History is witness that all wars won by violence left room for revenge.
Albert Einstein, Gandhiji’s contemporary, opined about religion as follows:
“The more profound scientists were not without a religious feeling though it was different from religiosity of a common man. His religious feeling takes a rapturous amazement at the harmony of the natural law which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection.”
What determines an individual’s holistic identity?
The Physical, Subtle and Causal bodies together constitute the holistic identity. Yoga Science establishes a perfect coordination between these three bodies.
Yathaa Ande Tathaa Brahmaande – as is within, so is outside.
The best way to understand the composite identity and working of an individual is to compare it with the working of an automobile:
- Car and Driver are two independent entities. The car key unites the two. Praana is the key in uniting body with ‘I’.
- Driver is alive and car is dead but latter becomes alive after driver turns the ignition key on.
- A car’s performance is 100% in the hands of the driver.
- Breakdown is in car but knowledge about it is not with the car and can only be with the driver if he/she has learnt enough about the car and knows the remedial measures and processes.
- Think of body as the car, Praana as the igniting current that enlivens the body and ‘I’ as the Driver.
- home of a most advanced technology and automation,
- a self-powered machine operating 24×7 hours,
Only if Human Genius can master this paradox about ‘Who Am I?’, there would be no sufferings in the world. World Peace will not be an utopia.
What Education, Research, Resources are needed to create a:
- Mahatma Gandhi,
- Mother Teresa,
- Martin Luther King,
- Nelson Mandela,
- Malala Yousafzai,
- and others like them?
Human Values, another name for Spiritual Knowledge enshrined in every religious text, are sufficient to be a Saint, a Fearless & Giving Leader.
Yoga is not just a fitness regimen and basis of modern clinical psychiatry but it is also a practical holistic health and wellness science:
- for human engineering at all three levels,
- is universally applicable, and
- empowers the seeker with emotional and intellectual balance.
- It is much more than mere physical postures, breathings techniques, and mindfulness meditation.
Also, the true and ultimate research laboratory for testing efficacy of Yogic Sciences is Human Body operated by the Human Consciousness or Genius through the chain of intellect, mind and senses in that order.
Yoga is above all manmade divides.
Human polity and society in past five decades have enslaved themselves to the dictates of science and technology and material comforts. Weaknesses like Greed, Desire, Anger, Jealousy, Fear, etc., which make them self-centered, selfish, stressful, ill and unhappy and are root causes of pushing body health downhill, are ignored and ignorantly suppressed through reliance on modern medicine.
Yogsutras tell us that the five causes of human sufferings are:
- Enmity, and
- Fear of death,
which do not relate to physical body but concern the Subtle and Causal bodies. The actual Yoga science is about empowering these two bodies in tackling every situation and issue howsoever complex.
Subtle body consists of:
- Subtle activities of the senses (Keyboard) supervised by the Mind.
- Mind is an unbiased mediator between senses and intellect. It is a faithful two-way messenger between them, a screen like the computer monitor displaying inputs and outputs or the rein tied to the horse at one end and in hands of the rider on the other.
- Intellect is the discriminating tool (processor) or the decision maker between new inputs by senses and prior experiences already stored in the memory.
- Memory is the data-base stored in brain (hard disc and software/data stored) called Chitta in the Yoga language.
Causal body consists of the reflected image of the soul in the memory plane.
Meditation is key for a balanced decision making process:
- It helps to balance the impulsive activities of the left half of brain with the more reflective and positive activities of the right half of the brain.
- It is also the key to Stress and many other health complications arising out of nervous disorders’ management.
Advantages from Yoga practices:
- provides the most effective holistic health management system;
- totally non-intrusive on faith, religious or other personal issues;
- powered by natural energies and confined to just you;
- free from medicines;
- helps develop Willpower;
- provides clarity on daily issues and takes away uncertainties and confusions;
- relieves you of all stresses;
- transforms busy life to easy going; saves extra Time to enjoy Life;
- yoga is becoming a mass movement by multiplier effect;
- everyone learning, regularly practicing and benefiting from it can freely share this knowledge, practice and experiences with relatives, friends, co-workers, and
- become Ambassadors of natural holistic health.
How is Yoga different from other programs?
- yoga presents practical applications that are easy to perform, logical and give instant results;
- every individual can experience results firsthand;
- 100% efficacy, structured on scalability, modularity & flexibility to suit individual needs;
- you become your own Guru and do not get fooled by market forces;
- you achieve excellence in all your actions and personality;
- you get tools for exercising mental control, stress management and better decision-making process;
Best of all, no infrastructure or resources required except a clean, airy and quiet place to stretch body and connect within with sincerity, broad-band Inner-net connectivity and faith in the Supreme Authority of God and laws of Nature. No Gym, no specific clothing, no companions, no Internet, etc., needed; just you and your origin – the pure soul within – unite to talk to each other and become one, come in union – the ultimate in Yoga.